The Section will be holding a K4WCF Section 20th Anniversary Operating Event special operating event to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the ARRL West Central Florida Section. As part of this celebration, K4WCF, the callsign of the West Central Florida Section, will be activated one weekend in each of the West Central Florida Section until all ten counties are activated over a period of ten weekends. This is very similar to the K4WCF operation was done in January of 2000 when the West Central Florida Section commenced operation. This will not be a contest, but simply an operating event to celebrate the anniversary of the ARRL West Central Florida Section.
The ARRL West Central Florida Section is now taking applications for ARES and or ACS groups, CERT groups, radio clubs, or individuals to apply to be authorized to activate K4WCF for a weekend at a time for each respective weekend.
Please use the Contact Form on the Section website to register intent to activate K4WCF on a weekend during 2020.
Update 1/20/20: All logs will be uploaded to ARRL LoTW as soon as they are available and can be processed. All contact confirmation and QSL information will be verified through LoTW.
Update 1/14/20: To make it easier and more convenient for all clubs, groups, and individuals who wish to activate K4WCF, all remaining weekends in the year 2020 will be available to any clubs, group, or individual to active a K4WCF 20th Anniversary Operating Event Station. It was decided to do away with a tentative schedule for the spring, summer, and fall schedule as this was proving too cumbersome to manage and operate.
UPCOMING SCHEDULED ACTIVATIONS OF K4WCF 20TH ANNIVERSARY OPERATING EVENT STATIONS
The following is weekends that have been reserved so far to date in 2020 for a K4WCF 20th Anniversary Operating Event activation.
• HIghlands County: 3/07/20 and 3/08/20 – HIghlands County Amateur Radio Club
• Pinellas County: 3/21/20 and 3/22/20 – St Petersburg Amateur Radio club
• Pasco County: 3/28/20 and 3/\29/20 – East Pasco Amateur Radio Society.
PREVIOUS ACTIVATIONS OF K4WCF 20TH ANNIVERSARY OPERATING EVENT STATIONS
Hillsborough County: 1/11/20 and 1/12/20 – Tampa Amateur Radio Club – HF CW Only.
Sarasota County: 1/25/20 and 1/26/20 – Sarasota County ARES – VHF/UHF Voice Only
CRITERIA FOR OPERATING K4WCF 20TH ANNIVERSARY OPERATING EVENT STATION
Groups interested in operating K4WCF in a particular county please use the Contact Form on the Section website to apply. Please state on the Contact Form the name of your club, group, or if you are an individual, and in what county you would like to activate K4WCF. The criteria for operating K4WCF is as follows:
(1) A group or individual operating K4WCF must be located in the county it is activating. Operation may be a base station, mobile while parked, club, EOC staton, or group station, as long as that operating is activating the county where it is located. Also clubs or groups may do parts of their activations from multiple locations as long as all operating locations are held in within the county being activated.
(2) Operation does not have to be for the whole 48 hour period of a weekend. Duration of operation is up to those who are activating K4WCF for that county.
(3) Please include in your application the times, bands, frequecies, modes you are planning to activate so this information can be published and those wanting contact with you will know when and where to find you.
(4) Have the capability to hand out contacts on VHF and UHF. This will allow our Technician class licensees can participate by making contacts as well. Repeater and Satellite operation is permitted and encouraged.
NOTE: Permission for clubs and groups to operate the K4WCF Special Event station on the NI4CE Repeater System has been obtained from the West Central Florida Group by the ARRL West Central Florida Section.
Upon completion of an activation of K4WCF by a club, group, or individual, please send in a copy of your logs via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via USPS to Darrell Davis KT4WX, 6350 Mills Road, Fort Meade, FL 33841-9584. Deadlines to turn in completed logs will be January 31, 2021.
EXCHANGE INFORMATION FOR CONTACTS WITH K4WCF
The following are the criteria for exchange to complete a contact with K4WCF:
Station working K4WCF:
(1) Station Callsign
(2) Signal Report
(3) County of Residence – inside the ARRL West Central Florida Section
(4) ARRL Section – outside the ARRL West Central Florida Section
Station activating K4WCF:
(1) The callsign K4WCF
(2) Signal Report
(3) County being activated
QSL CARD INFO OR CONTACT CONFIRMATION INFO NEEDED WITH K4WCF
Any QSL and or confirmation of contact with K4WCF will be available on the ARRL LoTW by the end of January 2020: https://lotw.arrl.org/lotwuser/default. Please be patient as this being setup.
CERTIFICATE FOR K4WCF CLEAN SWEEP
If a station works a K4WCF station activation in all ten counties in 2020, that station is eligible to receive a “K4WCF Clean Sweep” certificate as a PDF via email. Printed copies will be available via USPS for a nominal fee to cover printing and postal costs. If one simply wishes to have a PDF of the certificate, they can simply use the Contact Form on the Section website. If one wishes to have one send via USPS, please send $3 to cover the postage and copying costs to the following address:
Darrell Davis KT4WX
K4WCF 20th Anniversary Operating Event
6350 Mills Road
Fort Meade, FL 33841-9584
Certificates will not be processed until all K4WCF activation logs have uploaded to LoTW. Certificates will begin to be processed in March 2021.